Owen J. Sloane | Principal
Owen J. Sloane, a Los Angeles-based entertainment attorney, co-chairs the firm's Entertainment & Media Group. He is one of the entertainment industry's most respected attorneys with more than 40 years of experience representing major artists and leading companies in the entertainment, Internet and music publishing businesses. Since 2006, Owen has been selected by his peers as a Southern California Super Lawyer in the area of Entertainment. Fewer than five percent of California attorneys receive this honor.
Owen handles a wide range of sophisticated and complex music industry transactions for recording and touring artists, songwriters, publishers, producers, record labels, and other entertainment clients. He has negotiated all forms of talent contracts, recording agreements, songwriting and publishing agreements, distribution agreements, sync licensing, sponsorship and song placement agreements, merchandising and touring agreements, and major live events. Owen also represents artists, promoters, producers and directors in the film and television industries.
Owen has been particularly successful at structuring and negotiating the licensing of digital media content. He is credited with negotiating some of the earliest agreements pertaining to the Internet, ring tones, video satellite delivery, mobile entertainment, broadband and wireless as well as some of the music industry's largest and most innovative recording contracts and the first artist-owned label in rock. A major focus of his practice is protecting the artist's copyright and intellectual property rights while providing for long-term revenue, career growth and creative control.
He currently represents American Idol alum Chris Daughtry who recently had the No. 1 album in the country, Rob Thomas, Matchbox Twenty, the Frank Zappa Estate, Suzanne Vega, Chester French, the Jay Livingston Catalog, as well as many other major artists and companies. Over the course of his career, Owen has also represented Elton John, Barry Manilow, Steve Winwood, Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Raitt, Kenny Rogers, Lindsay Buckingham, Radio Free Virgin, Jane's Addiction, Elliot Gould, Shelly Long and Academy award-winning cinematographer Haskell Wexler.
Owen also serves as an expert witness and litigation consultant on issues such as contracts, intellectual property rights, calculations of royalties, contracts for minors, and music industry custom and practices. He recently testified in cases involving the Bing Crosby Estate, Rod Stewart, Nine Inch Nails, Harrah's Las Vegas Hotel, the Baltimore Orioles, RealNetworks and Trent Reznor.
Owen has published scores of articles and has lectured at ASCAP, MUSEXPO, Digital Music Forum West, Hollywood Goes Green, Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, and other professional organizations. He has been quoted as an expert source in the Wall St. Journal, Los Angeles Times, Reuters and Billboard, among other publications.
Owen has served on the Board of the Los Angeles Chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences and the City of Los Angeles Grammy Host Committee.
* Has represented Chris Daughtry since his appearance on American Idol, successfully renegotiated original American Idol deals recapturing merchandising rights and negotiating a new 7-figure publishing deal.
* Negotiated first-ever deal involving concert recordings on USB wristbands, renegotiated multi-million dollar record and publishing deals for Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty.
* Represented Frank Zappa throughout most of his life, set-up innovative indie distribution and publishing deals outside the traditional model. Currently represents the Frank Zappa Estate in contracts, copyright, trademark and licensing matters.
* Renegotiated publishing deal for Suzanne Vega and set-up indie worldwide record distribution network for three new albums.
* Negotiated non-360 record deal for Chester French, sponsorship and endorsement with Adidas, and innovative Internet music marketing agreement.
Expert Witness Experience (click to view)
J.D., cum laude, from Yale Law School, 1965
B.A., with Honors and Distinction, Cornell University, 1962
Presentations and Publications (click to view)
U.S. District Court, Central District of California